Sunday, November 28, 2010

Last Installment of "weirdest day in Chicago"

So let's pick up where I left off. The right pizza had finally to the table and we thoroughly enjoyed it. But now we had another pizza (the original one) that we needed to do something with. We decided to take it home and eat it later. So....who wants to carry a 7 lb box of pizza (really, it's heavy) through the streets of Chicago?? Well, apparently Austin did. So he volunteers to chauffeur the pizza home.




So we walk down to the river to take some pictures. And I see a man trying to shine people's shoes, but I don't think much about it...until I turn around and see this.

Oh, that would be Austin. Standing there helplessly. So I move closer and begin to hear my poor, sweet, innocent husband being swindled into a bet with this guy. I mean, I see them shaking hands. And so what do I do? Sit quietly in the background? Please.
"Wait, wait wait. What are you betting him??? You want $16 for this shoe shine?? UGH, NO BET!!" Basically, he told Austin that he could guess the number of children his father had by looking at the toe of the boot. If he got it wrong, we owed him nothing. If he got it right, we owed him double...$16. Have you ever in your life?? $16 for a 60 second shoe shine? What is this Manhattan? I mean, this all happened so fast that before I knew it, I had called off the bet, the guy was calling me out for stepping in and refusing the bet, and my brother was getting money out of his wallet to give the shoe shiner while Austin stood there holding the pizza. As we walked away, we laughed a lot. My favorite quotes.....
"Austin, you have to just keep walking. Don't let him get near your feet."
"Well with this pizza, I'm just not that agile." It was the pizza.....right.

"Well if you were going to try to con someone out of a group of people, wouldn't you choose the one who got stuck carrying the pizza? I mean, that just says 'sucker.'" - Me

"It's like a lion picking off the weak gazelle - the one with the pizza box." - Austin


How did all of this happen to us in one day? Either way, we will never forget it. And come to find out, that guy had tried to shine Austin's shoes before and he had escaped. Not this time. Shoe shine won.


Here are some pictures from the bus ride home.

We stand even when there are empty seats cuz we're cool like that.

One final group picture before Lyndsay headed back to Iowa.
Such a fun weekend.
And there is a shiny pair of boots in the hallway to prove it.

3 comments:

britney said...

austin is HILAAAARIOUS!!! such a funny story!

Valerie said...

Oh man, we miss you guys so much! Picking off the weak gazelle - I love it. It looks like your Thanksgiving turned out great.

Kayla said...

1. this made me laugh. so hard. all the shoe shining stuff is just TOO funny.

2. I miss little John! I thought he was still in Middle School! He's so cute and all grown up!!