Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chasing Chicken Stock

Before we moved to Chicago, I often used to wonder how we were going to go grocery shopping and get our groceries up to our apartment without a little sweating and cursing involved.
Well, I don't have to wonder anymore.
It's a reality we live on a weekly basis.
(thankfully no cursing)
We have started shopping out in the suburbs....groceries themselves are cheaper and you pay much less in taxes. We heard recently that the only folks taxed more than Chicago residents are the residents of Manhattan. So we are always looking to pay a little less. So we make a quick 20 minute drive to Bolingbrook, IL, load up on groceries and head back to Chicago.

Once we get to our parking garage, we stop at the bottom floor, I run inside to the office and borrow "the cart." We load as much stuff as we can on the cart. Usually I will wait there, in the parking garage for Austin to drive up 4 stories, park the car and come back and help me push the cart and watch for falling items. Today I did it on my own and met him at the apartment.
I did have some runaway chicken broth and coffee creamer. (Andi--peppermint mocha!)
Then we get on the elevator with the cart and usually a few neighbors and a dog or two, and ride up to the 11th floor.
Then roll the cart down the hall and inside the apartment.
Unload the cart.
Put the groceries away and finally return the cart to the bottom floor.

It seems like a hassle because it is. haha
But there are no other options so we try not to take it too seriously and try to have a little fun and remember that we live in Chicago and this is just part of life.

Here are some pictures from the trip we made today to Meijer.
The load was extra large because it included most of my Thanksgiving shopping.


Always smiling Austin and "the cart."


It's really hard to make the turn, especially when the clothes drying rack is in the way.

So I guess I'm encouraging my Mount Vernon followers to be thankful for your 3 minute drive to Brookshire's and for unloading your groceries right at your back door.
You could be chasing chicken stock down the hall.




2 comments:

Special Deliveries: Storks and More said...

I love it!!!! Can't wait to have me some Peppermint Mocha creamer in just 10 short days!!!! Oh, and the Thanksgiving meal that you will have prepared for us by the time we get there. I love you both!!!

AmyB said...

I loved reading this! It made me laugh and thankful that getting groceries in a new place is an adventure no matter where you live! Made me think of our cart, the one we pull our groceries in as we walk home from the store, market and bakery. And we have had things roll everywhere too. Its always an adventure.