Thursday, February 4, 2010

Volunteering

Since September, I have been volunteering at Memorial Hermann Southwest hospital (where Andi works as a NICU nurse). Every Wednesday morning from 8-12, I work on the fifth floor of the hospital. This is where moms are recovering and where the sweet nursery is. I spend most of my time folding blankets and baby shirts and making cribs for the nursery. When a family is being discharged, I also get to help them outside to their car. I have had the great pleasure of working with some fantastic ladies. I usually eat lunch with 3 precious ladies ... one is in her seventies, one is in her eighties, and one is her nineties! And did I mention, we ALL have on the same outfit?? Yes, it's true. Volunteers have a very specific uniform. You might think that it would be awkward for me being the young gal, but I am totally comfortable being around my elders. I love it. Next week, I get the privilege of joining Andi in the NICU on the night shift as a "cuddler." I will be holding and loving on babies whose families are unable to visit. I will be the only volunteer working in the evenings and the hospital seems so grateful to have someone to come at night just for a couple of hours. I am planning on taking my camera and getting a picture of Andi and I together. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Grannalisa said...

Oh wow!! That is awesome. Cuddler!! I love it. That is the job I have always told my girls that I want to do!! That is neat that you get to be with sis!!